Thursday, November 28, 2013

Morning


Good morning,
Happy Thanksgiving.
I'm sitting here smelling the warm cinnamon rolls
on top of the oven just waiting for husband to wake and eat them
while I mull over pinterest and curate places I dream of visiting some day.
I am thinking over this past year and how incredibly painful and joyful it has been.
It seems like each year just increases in both pain and joy.
The pain becomes sharper and deeper, deeper than I ever thought it would go,
but the joy always matches and supersedes the pain in a gentle quiet way.
I don't mean this to be melancholy, really I don't,
but sometimes gratitude and thanksgiving is a bit melancholy isn't it?
I know that sounds odd and maybe I'm wrong,
but when we express gratitude for what is here and what we have
aren't we quietly aware of what isn't?
And doesn't that make thanksgiving all the sweeter?
Thanksgiving is an expression of gratitude, especially to God,
so says Webster's dictionary, and I know that most of the time
I think of gratitude as very joyful but maybe it isn't always.

The pilgrims had lost many many of their people in fact MOST of their people.
They had lost babies, husbands, wives, and friends, and at the end of that season
is when they decided to have a dinner of thanksgiving.
 I'm sure they were very aware of who and what wasn't there
as the celebrated and gave thanks for who and what was there.

This morning as I look over beautiful images and mentally
make a list of places to mention to husband to add to our dream travel list,
it is strangely calming to look over this past year
and the expected joys that never came and the unexpected joys
that bring such wonder and gratitude.

Today will be quiet for us.
We are both sick with colds and feel the need for rest and simplicity.
I will finish cooking and baking all sorts of yummy things,
then we will dress up and enjoy our meal together just us,
 then we will most likely change back into
our pajamas and watch Fiddle On The Roof
(husband has never seen it!!)

We are so grateful.
So very very grateful.
For God's excessive love and grace towards us
and this day set aside to quietly express our gratitude for Him.


Happy Thanksgiving


xoxo,
Lyss & Josh 


No comments:

Post a Comment