Monday, June 17, 2013

...




We traveled to CO last week to see family
and since we've gotten back
I've felt an urgency to record our visit
 in order to not lose the memories and moments.

But every time I begin to tell the story of the fire,
for the telling of our time there would not be complete without it,
I am at a loss for words.

I'm not sure if its because I don't have a grasp on 
what I think and feel yet
or if it is simply because there are no words....

So often I feel a need to voice things
that really cannot be put to words.
I do not want to reduce something so deep 
and personal
to flippant sentences simply
because I don't have the words
or the skill to accurately portray them.

It was so raw.
Driving with my grandparents with nothing
from their home of 30 years but the clothes on their backs.
The hours and days of waiting to hear something, anything hopeful.
The contentment and gratitude expressed over
and over again that God is in control
and stuff is only stuff.
The relief felt when we saw the familiar address on the "unaffected" list.
The hopes and prayers that it would stay on that list
as the fire doubled back.

We will not quickly forget this


and that's as close as I'm going to get
to a put together ending.


xoxo,
lyss








2 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job of capturing it with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job of capturing it with words.

    ReplyDelete